- What is Icy Phoenix?
- Icy Phoenix is a CMS based on phpBB (a fully scalable and highly customisable open-source Bulletin Board package PHP based) plus many modifications and code integrations which add flexibility to the whole package. The official home page for phpBB is www.phpbb.com. Icy Phoenix has some features originally developed for phpBB XS Project which has been founded by Bicet and then developed by both Bicet and Mighty Gorgon. Icy Phoenix has been created by Mighty Gorgon after he left the phpBB XS Project.
- What are the main features of Icy Phoenix?
Icy Phoenix has many features, most of them are listed in the Credits on this site, but the main ones are:
- phpBB bulletin board and permission system
- CMS features allowing the creation of new pages and blocks (some of the functions are based on the abandoned IM Portal project)
- Overall template integration among all site sections
- Many ready to use features: Photo Gallery, Downloads, Knowledge Base, Links, Chat...
- Multi-language and multi-template ready
- Almost 100% XHTML and CSS W3C compliant
- ...and many others...
- Is Icy Phoenix supported for bugs, security issues, improvements?
- Icy Phoenix is an open source project. As like many open source projects it is developed by people using their free time. At the moment there are several persons in the staff willing to help and to contribute to this project. We hope the community will continue to grow and be able to provide all the necessary support to all the users who may need help.
- Is Icy Phoenix easy to install and upgrade from other platforms?
- Icy Phoenix has its own setup procedure which guides the user through the steps of the setup process. An upgrading file is provided to upgrade the package from standard phpBB and phpBB XS. Hopefully an upgrade procedure from any other platform will be written in the future: at the moment the only way to upgrade from another pre-modded is by downgrading it to phpBB (has been written a procedure for this) and then run the provided upgrade procedure.
- Does Icy Phoenix have many templates?
- Yes, at the moment there are some free templates (some of them with multicolour variations) and we are working to create new ones. If you are interested in new templates you should regularly check the support forum.
- Is Icy Phoenix multi-language?
- English is the main language of Icy Phoenix, but it has been translated into other languages (alphabetical order): Arabic, Catalan, Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish... and more to come! If you don't find your language listed here, please ask at the support forum, maybe someone else is working on the translation you need and you would be welcome to join the translation team to give your contribution.
- Will Icy Phoenix be upgraded to phpBB 3?
- At the moment there is no plan to upgrade Icy Phoenix to phpBB 3, but things may change...
- May I join the Icy Phoenix Project?
- Of course. Icy Phoenix is an open source project, and anyone who is willing to give his own contribution on a stable basis may then apply to join the Team.
| Top |
, which has been created by Mighty Gorgon, is a CMS based on pre-modded version of phpBB plus several phpBB MODs, plus many features coded by Mighty Gorgon and Icy Phoenix Staff. Since phpBB is released under GNU, Icy Phoenix as well is released under the GNU License (you may read its term here: GNU
Credits for all included MODs and their Authors could be found at this link: Credits
phpBB © 2009 phpBB Group
Icy Phoenix © 2009 Icy Phoenix Staff
| Top |
Before trying to install Icy Phoenix make sure you have the following STRICTLY NEEDED
- At least 20 MB of free space in the folder you would like to install the package
- Web server with PHP (4 or higher, better if 5.x or above) installed and running (works best on Linux + Apache)
- MySQL (3 or higher, better if 5.x or above) database with at least 1MB of free space (of course the space needed depends on how big your site will be... 1MB is enough for a basic empty setup)
- Ability to set CHMOD permissions
These other requirements (even if not strictly needed) are suggested for optimal performance of Icy Phoenix:
- Webserver with .htaccess capability
- Apache Rewrite Mod installed and running
- GD Libraries (at least 2.0.28) installed and running
- Register Globals set to OFF
| Top |
- Unpack Icy Phoenix package to one folder on your HD.
- Copy all Icy Phoenix files in one folder on your webserver (i.e. /icyphoenix/)
Set the permissions to CHMOD 777 to the following files and folders:
- Launch the setup from the install folder: install/install.php (i.e. http://www.mysite.com/forum/install/install.php)
- Follow all the instructions on the screen, fill all requested data and complete the setup.
- Delete or rename install folder.
- Customize what needs to be customized in files and db (some files needs to be edited manually, while most of the options may be set in ACP and CMS).
- Enjoy your New Site .
| Top |
Version 184.108.40.206 (2007/05/20)
Version 220.127.116.11 (2008/03/03)
Version 18.104.22.168 (2009/07/18)
| Top |